Summer in southern Louisiana brings the rainiest months of the year. And as the second rainiest state in the nation, even more water puts us and our homes to the test. Of course, what comes to mind first is protecting our windows and walls. But that work means nothing if you don’t protect your foundation as well! Foundation damage shows throughout your house if it’s bad enough. Water can really put a house through the works. So listen to the professionals and watch out for these tell-tale foundation water damage signs.
What Does It Look Like?
Picking out foundation water damage can be a bit tricky – if you don’t know what to look for! Foundation problems can show up all over the home, so be thorough in your search.
- Standing water in your yard. Seeing random puddles of water is more worrying than you think. Instead of sliding into the street, this water seeps into the ground below, causing uneven, soaked soil. This can seriously shift your foundation around.
- Obvious cracks. The most obvious sign is visible damage. Any crack over an eighth of an inch is cause for concern.
- Shifting floors. If your foundation damage is bad enough, the floor underneath you will move. An example of this is if one patch of the floor feels higher than the rest.
Because the soil in Baton Rouge is a clay-laden soil, water is an issue for our foundations. Meaning, any water making contact with this soil causes it to expand, shifting the ground around it. And so, causing damage in nearby foundations. But it rains here so often, what can you do about it? This is where prevention comes into play.
Prevent Foundation Water Damage!
Preventing damage is easy enough when you know what you’re doing. Because the nature of Louisiana’s soil is diverse and ever-changing, we still urge you to call in the pros if you feel you have foundation water damage. Here are the most common prevention techniques:
- Landscaping. Get rid of any uneven ground or holes. No standing water in this yard!
- Clean gutters regularly. When your gutters clog, this water has nowhere to go and pools at the base of your home. Clean gutters clear the water out and away from the home.
- Check your pipes for leaks often. Rain isn’t the only source of water damage. If you can access any of your pipes, it’s only smart to inspect them every so often.
There are a number of ways to prevent water damage. Choosing a method depends on your problem and your home’s characteristics. Call WCK today and find out more!.
Help, I Have Foundation Water Damage!
No worries! You’ve come to the right place. The professionals at WCK Foundation Repair are prepared to help bring your home back to its glory days. Contact us or apply for a free estimate to get started.